August 20 PreK Playground Date – 9:00-10:00 AM
August 21 Kindergarten Playground Date – 9:00-10:00 AM
August 27 Meet the Teacher – 9:00-11:00 AM
August 28 First Day of School for grades Kdg-6 – Doors open at 8:30 AM, School starts at 8:50 AM
August 29 PreK Parent Orientation – 9:15 AM
August 30 New Parent Orientation (grades K-6) – 7:00 PM – Church Hall
August 31- September 3 NO SCHOOL – Labor Day Weekend
September 4 First Day for PreK
September 9 St. Chris Community Day – Mass at 10:00 AM
September 12 Parent Information Night – 6:45 PM – Church
September 14 Coffee with the Principal – 9:15 AM – Enrichment Room
NEXT WEEK! PreKindergarten and Kindergarten Playground Play Dates! – One more week left! The playground will be open for PreK students and their parents to meet on August 20 from 9:00-10:00 AM. Kindergarten students and their parents are invited for playground fun on the August 21, also from 9:00-10:00 AM. Come on down! This is a great time for the kids…and parents (!)….to make important connections with friends before the school year begins!
Meet the Teacher Day – Monday, August 27 is our annual Meet the Teacher event from 9:00-11:00 AM. This is an optional, drop-in event. Classroom assignments are posted on the lobby bulletin board and teachers will be in all classrooms greeting their new students! No need to be here right away at 9:00…the school will be open and teachers will be in their rooms until 11:00. Come on by and say hi!
First Day for Kdg through 6th Grade – Our first full day for grades Kdg through 6 will be Tuesday, August 28. Doors will open at 8:30 AM and school begins at 8:50 AM.
NEW! FIRST Lego League -- It’s that time of year again! FIRST Lego League at St. Chris will be starting up as the school year starts and we’re looking for parent volunteers to help with this awesome team. Our FLL season will run from the beginning of September till mid-November. If anyone is interested in volunteering or coaching, please contact Lana Tyrrell at firstname.lastname@example.org. You don’t have to have a child on the team to be a coach or volunteer! Student signups will be available via Signup Genius during the first week of school and availability will be based upon the number of coaches. The team is open to all students who are 9 years old or older in 2018, but space will be limited.
Labor Day Vacation – Don’t forget that we will not be in school on Friday, August 31 and Monday, September 3! Enjoy the last few days of summer!
NEW! Parent Volunteers – It’s not too early to think about how you will make a difference at St. Chris! Our school is so thankful for the many, many volunteers who partner with us to offer special events and programs that would not exist without their help. Numerous studies show that students are more successful in school when their parent volunteers…it’s a win-win for everyone! To see the many ways you can get involved here at St. Chris, click HERE! You can also sign up to volunteer for the individual programs by clicking through to the Sign-Up Genius under each opportunity. Thank you SO much!
NEW! Hot Lunch Volunteers Needed! This is a special call for Hot Lunch volunteers! As our largest volunteer program, we need lots of volunteers to make the Hot Lunch program a success…over 100 people! Everyone is welcome to volunteer…we’ve had parents, alumni parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles! Hot Lunch is a great way to get to know other parents, to see what’s going on in the school, and to see your children and their friends. Volunteers serve lunch just one day a month on the day of the week of your choice (although those who want to help out several days a month are always welcome!). To volunteer, use the Sign-Up Genius at https://tinyurl.com/hotlunch2018.
Back to School Parent Events – Mark your calendars for the following events! They are a great opportunity to meet fellow parents and/or get caught up with old friends, as well as find out what’s new at St. Christopher School!
New Parent Orientations – We can’t wait to welcome our new parents to St. Christopher School! We offer two New Parent Orientations, dependent on what grade your student is in. Both will cover volunteer opportunities, upcoming events, “inside info” from veteran families, tours of the school, question and answer session, and more!
- PreK parents should attend the PreK Parent Orientation on Wednesday, August 29 at 9:15 AM. The Prek Orientation gives specific information and advice to parents of our youngest students, as well as general school information. PreK students should attend and will spend time in their classroom with their aides and a parent volunteer.
- All other parents should attend the New Parent Orientation, to be held on Thursday, August 30 at 7:00 PM in the Church Hall. PreK parents do not have to attend this second session.
St. Chris Community Day – Join our St. Chris parish and school community in giving thanks for a new school year at the 10:00 AM mass, then join in the fun in the church hall! Representatives from a larger number of parish and school groups will be offering fun, games and food for all!
Parent Information Night – All parents should attend the Parent Information Night on Wednesday, September 12 at 6:45 PM. The meeting will begin in the Church with a series of short presentations outlining the state of the school and the upcoming school year. We will then adjourn to the school so parents may visit their children’s classrooms (be sure to leave a note in your child’s desk…they’ll be looking for it!). We’ll see you there!
First Day for PreK – Our littlest students will join us for their first full day on Tuesday, September 5.
NEW! Carpooling Instructions -- Please understand that the first few weeks of the morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up are unusually busy and sometimes a bit confusing. We ask everyone’s patience as new parents learn our routine and veteran parents get back into the swing of things! Please take a moment to review the following procedures to keep us all going safely in the RIGHT directions:
Morning Drop-off –
Pre-K and Kdg – ONLY these students should be dropped off in the REAR of the school. (The only exception would be those older students who carpool with PreK or Kdg students).
- Please enter the back parking lot via the entrance closest to the school building and pull up to the top of the stairway, perpendicular to the parking spaces.
- You should not park or exit your car. Teachers will meet your car and help your student out of the car.
- Once your student has exited your car, please proceed forward and then circle around to exit the parking lot via the exit closest to the dumpsters.
- To avoid congestion on Brookline St., please go straight out of the parking lot down Hill St.
Grades 1-6 – These students should be dropped off along the sidewalk in FRONT of the school.
- Parents should turn onto Cushing Ave via Manchester St. ONLY and pull as far forward in front of the school as possible.
- Your child should exit the car immediately without your assistance so that you may move on as quickly as possible and make room for other parents behind you.
- For safety and security reasons, please do not park your car in front of the school or attempt to have your child cross the street from the opposite direction (even with your assistance).
- In addition, students should not exit your car into the teacher’s parking lot…please wait until you have pulled up to the sidewalk.
Afternoon Pick-Up – Again, the first few weeks will be very busy in the parking lots…please be patient! The following rules are very important for student safety:
Back Parking Lot: This area is for Pre-K and Kdg pick-up, as well as those students who live OUTSIDE Nashua. (Students who carpool with Pre-K and Kdg students will exit to the back parking lot also.)
- If you arrive early, you may find that the entrance to the parking lot is blocked by yellow gates. Please do NOT move the gates. Various classes often use the parking lot for activities until just before pick-up and it must remain clear. We will have 6th grade student helpers come to move the gates when appropriate.
- Enter the parking lot via the entrance closest to the school building.
- Please BACK into the spaces along the outside of the lot first, saving the inside row of parking spaces for later arrivals.
- Exit your car and meet your child at the top of the stairs. Do not ask students to walk across the parking lot alone.
- Please keep students with you and keep them from climbing the trees and running down the hill on the grass.
- Exit the parking lot via the exit closest to the dumpsters.
Upper Parking Lot (by the Church): This area is for those students who live INSIDE Nashua.
- Please park your car within the marked spaces only. If extra parking is needed, you may park in the lot next to the parish’s barn (beyond the white house with the Mary statue in front)
- Exit your car and meet your student in the parking lot by the door to the church. Do not ask students to walk across the parking lot alone.
- Please do not allow students to jump off the stone walls or run around in the memorial garden next to the Rectory.
NEW! Hot Lunch – Our Hot Lunch program will begin serving lunch on Monday, September 24. Ordering for September 24-October 31 will take place from September 1 to September 15 at Boonli.com. Further information about the Hot Lunch program will be distributed in the first paper Wednesday News on August 29 or can be viewed online HERE. (Please note that the new website has the logo/link for OrderLunches.com on the sidebar. No worries…this will take you to Boonli.com. It’s just one of those things that we are working on fixing on the new website!)
Free Dress – No uniforms until after Labor Day! Shorts are okay, but please be sure that your child’s clothing follows the guidelines set out in the Handbook, including NO tank tops/spaghetti straps/tube tops/halter tops, NO clothing displaying rock groups/violence/inappropriate sayings, NO extra-large or baggy shirts or pants, and NO shorts/skirts/skorts that are more than 2-3 inches above the knee. Thanks!
Before and After Care – Our Extended Day programs will begin on the first day of school, August 28. Before Care will open at 6:30 AM and After Care is available until 6:00 PM. Additional information can be found HERE. All students who attend either Before or After Care must have a completed registration form on file before attending. (It is okay to send the form in with the child on the first day he or she attends.) These are available at the link above or at the school on Meet the Teacher Day.
UPDATED! Back to School Supply and Required Reading List – The sales are on in all the stores…time to stock up on supplies for the upcoming school year! The Back to School Supply and Required Reading List can be found HERE! Have fun!
PreK Parents – It appears that two items were left off your supply list….so sorry! Please add one box of Kleenex and one roll of paper towels to your list. Thank you!
Private Tours – Know of any new folks moving to the area? Have friends or relatives who would enjoy the St. Chris community and value a St. Chris education? We’d love to show them our school! Private tours with the wonderful Jackie Langenfeld can be scheduled for almost any day! To arrange, please have the prospective families call Jackie at 882-774, ext. 114.
NEW! Soulfest Baseball Game… “Baseball, Love & Action” – The Parish Faith Formation office of the Diocese of Manchester would like to invite everyone to a Fisher Cats baseball game with their Catholic friends on August 25! The Diocese has been given a special section and entertainment will include inspirational music and a question and answer session with Fisher Cats team members. More information and tickets can be found HERE.